Copied to Clipboard
Your skin is a part of you, which means you can't just take care of it on the surface. Holistic skin care is the practice of caring for your skin from the inside out through lifestyle habits, diet and nutrition, hydration, and more.
In this article, we'll discuss holistic skincare and then dive into simple skincare routines by skin type.
Table Of Contents
What Is Holistic Skin Care?
A holistic approach to skincare is about taking a complete look at what affects your skin instead of just treating it for its visible symptoms. This type of care considers your physical, emotional, and spiritual needs to achieve a healthy balance of body, mind, and soul.
Elements Of Holistic Skin Care
Holistic skin care involves several factors beyond your skin's surface. Let’s look at some key aspects.
Diet And Hydration
What you eat can greatly impact your skin’s appearance, so it’s important to focus on eating foods that nourish your body with vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. In addition, eating a balanced diet with plenty of vegetables and healthy fats helps keep your skin looking its best.
Drinking the right amount of water is also vital because it helps your skin stay hydrated and flushes out toxins. As a general rule, aim for at least eight glasses of water a day.
Regular physical activity helps keep your body healthy, boosts circulation and oxygen in the skin, reduces stress levels, and can improve your mood. Just make sure to avoid overworking yourself.
Meaningful self-care activities, such as yoga, meditation, journaling, and body brushing, can help reduce stress levels, clear your mind, and help improve the appearance of your skin.
When you sleep, your body repairs itself. For example, your skin's natural barrier can become stronger, helping keep your complexion fresh and healthy-looking. To get the best rest possible, aim for seven to nine hours of sleep each night.
Choosing The Right Products
The products you use are still important for healthy skin, so it’s essential to pick the right ones for your individual needs. Choose skincare products from a company that prioritizes effective formulas, such as Bodewell.
Protect Yourself From The Sun
The sun’s harsh rays can wreak havoc on your skin. Make it a priority to apply sunscreen before spending much time outside. You’ll also want to wear a wide-brimmed hat and stay in the shade as much as possible to avoid getting too much sun exposure.
Benefits Of Holistic Skin Care
When you start caring for your whole self, your skin (and the rest of you) benefits. Here are some specific advantages of holistic skincare:
- Improved skin clarity and texture
- Reduced inflammation
- Better hydration
- Improved mood
- Increased vitality and energy
- More even-looking skin tone and complexion
Drawbacks Of Holistic Skin Care
Of course, no skincare routine is perfect. Some potential drawbacks include:
- Having to invest time in self-care
- Difficulty sticking to a routine
- Making lifestyle changes such as reducing sugar and getting more exercise
- Needing trial and error to find the best products for your skin type
Step-By-Step Routines For Each Skin Type
Now that you know more about holistic skincare, let’s look at how you can integrate these principles into your routine, no matter what skin type you have.
You won't have many imperfections to worry about when you have normal skin. But you still need to take care of your skin to maintain its healthy-looking appearance.
Here’s a simple skincare routine for you.
- Cleanse with a gentle cleanser
- Use a toner
- Apply your favorite moisturizer
- Remove makeup with an oil-based cleanser
- Use an antioxidant serum or facial oil to nourish your skin
- Finish with a moisturizer
- Exfoliate gently
- Use a charcoal or clay face mask to help unclog your pores
With normal skin, you may not have to spend as much time on these things as people with other skin types do, but if you ignore your skin, you could wind up with breakouts or other problems.
To put your best skin forward, avoid irritating ingredients, and be consistent with your skincare routine.
Having dry skin means you'll need an extra boost of hydration and nourishment. Follow the steps below to keep your skin glowing.
- Cleanse with a mild, hydrating cleanser
- Use a toner to balance your skin’s pH levels
- Finish with a nourishing moisturizer
- Remove makeup with a gentle oil-based cleanser
- Follow up with an antioxidant-rich serum
- Apply a hydrating moisturizer
- Use a hydrating face mask made from avocado, yogurt, and honey to give your skin extra moisture
- Use an exfoliating sugar scrub to remove dead skin cells
- Take a bath with colloidal oatmeal or other natural ingredients to help soothe your skin
With dry skin, you'll want to avoid cleansers and exfoliants that contain alcohol or harsh chemicals, as these can strip away the natural oils your skin needs. Instead, stick to ingredients such as coconut oil, almond oil, and niacinamide.
It's also crucial to implement healthy shower practices. For example, don't use scalding hot water or stay in it for ages. Instead, keep showers shorter and cooler so you don't dry out your skin even more.
If you have oily skin, you may be tempted to reach for products that strip away your skin's natural oils. But doing this can kick your oil production into overdrive, making your skin worse in the long run.
Instead, follow the steps below to help keep your oil levels in balance.
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser
- Spot-treat acne with apple cider vinegar
- Use a refreshing toner to remove excess oil
- Lightly apply an oil-free moisturizer
- Remove makeup with a gentle, oil-free cleanser
- Use an exfoliating toner with salicylic acid
- Apply a retinol product to clear your pores
- Finish with an oil-free moisturizer
- Put on a clay face mask to draw out excess oil and remove dirt
- Do a deep cleansing steam to relax and help open up your pores
Many people with oily skin are prone to acne breakouts. If you're dealing with this problem, look for a cleanser that contains salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide. These ingredients will help get rid of acne-causing bacteria and keep your pores clear.
If you have combination skin, you may be overwhelmed with skin care. Just remember, the key is balance. Follow the steps below for an effective routine that won't irritate your skin’s dry patches or add too much oil.
- Cleanse with a gentle cleanser
- Apply toner to the T-zone (forehead and nose)
- Follow up with a light, oil-free moisturizer
- Remove makeup with a water-based cleanser
- Put a moisturizing eye cream under your eyes to help hydrate this area
- Use a lightweight, non-greasy moisturizing lotion on the rest of your face
- Use a clay face mask to draw out excess oil in the T-zone
- Try an exfoliating scrub to help remove dead skin cells
When you have combination skin, you'll want to avoid products that are specifically designed for dry or oily skin, as these could disrupt your skin's delicate balance. It's best to stick with products labeled as gentle and non-comedogenic (which means they won't clog your pores).
When you have sensitive skin, it's important to be extra gentle with your skincare routine. Follow the steps below to keep your skin happy.
- Cleanse with a gentle, non-irritating cleanser
- Apply a calming toner made for sensitive skin
- Moisturize lightly with an oil-free, fragrance-free moisturizer
- Remove makeup with a mild cleanser
- Apply an alcohol toner with vitamin E and other antioxidants
- Rejuvenate your skin with a hydrating moisturizer
- Put on a moisturizing face mask to give your skin an extra boost of hydration and nourishment
Since your skin is sensitive, it won't take much to irritate it or break it out. Make sure you stick to a routine and avoid any products with fragrances, dyes, or harsh chemicals.
Pay attention to how your skin reacts to specific products, and switch products out for something more gentle if you notice any redness or dryness.
Caring For You And Your Skin
Your skin is a part of you. Take time to care for it with self-care, exercise, diet, and rest. Remember that an important part of any holistic skincare routine is using products from a company that integrates soothing botanicals, like Bodewell, to help you look and feel your best.